Discussion – rhetorics and power
2-3 students in each discussion group
Scope: 5-7 minutes
Preparation: Watch/read the inaugural speeches delivered by Barack Obama and by Donal Trump.
- Barack Obama ”A Presidents’ Address” pages 9-14 in Viewpoints 3 – (accessable through smakprov.se)
- Obama delivers first inaugural address. President Barack Obama takes the oath of office and delivers his inaugural address from the steps of the Capitol
- Full Text: President Donald Trump’s Inaugural Address
- President Donald Trump’s Inaugural Address (Full Speech) | NBC News
For each speech find/identify…
- Metaphorical language – give examples and explain what these metaphors usually mean.
- Theses & antitheses – give examples and explain
- Quotes – Do the speakers use quotations? Give examples and find out who they are quoting.
- Metaphorical language – Use the metaphors you have identified to discuss. Why do you think these metaphors are used?
- Theses & antitheses – Use the theses/antitheses you have identified to discuss. What impact does use of these theses/antitheses have on the speakers message?
- Quotes – Use the quotes you have identified to discuss. Give examples of quotes you have identified and dicuss the presidents’ choice of quote. Why do you think a specific quote is used. How does it affect the speakers massage?
- Compare how the Obama and Trump use different rhetorical devises and how this affects their respective messages?
- What evidence of ideologies can you find in their speeches? Give examples and motivate.
- Where and how can you see power in effect in the language use of Obama and Trump respectively? Support your discussion with examples.
Worksheet for discussion (extract from the complete instructions), embedded to the left or as pdf to download English 7_Presidental Speeches_Discussion_2017
Posts on this theme