When working with literature and text it is useful to learn and know terms for literary devices. “Literary devices and terms are the techniques and elements—from figures of speech to narrative devices to poetic meters—that writers use to create narrative literature, poetry, speeches, or any other form of writing” (from LitChart). You will be using these terms (and skills) in work with analysing texts.
LitChart has a list with definitions and a and with lots of examples. Another option is the site Literary Devices or the page What are Literary Devices?, from Literary Devices Definition and Examples of Literary Terms.
Useful sites for definitions and explanations:
- LitChart’s list with definitions
- Literary Devices
- Literary Devices Definition and Examples of Literary Terms.
- List of narrative techniques (wikipedia)
- All Literary Devices (Flashcards for practice)
- Techniques for Analysing a Written Text (from Matrix Education)